Thursday, May 11, 2006

The Grass is Always Greener

Today as I was walking my friend Ginny to her car, I heard an odd wailing. It sounded like a baby crying. So, the good mother that I am thought, "Shit, it's not time for him to wake up already. I haven't even checked my email."
As I went back inside, I noticed the sound was coming from my backyard. In my best Angela Lansbury, I went outside to investigate. I discovered a pit bull mix, hanging over my fence. His front paws were on the ground, and his left hind leg was stuck on the top of the chain link . In an attempt to scale my, much too tall for him, fence, he got caught. Panicked, I called animal control, who took their ever loving time to get to my house, and in the mean time all I could do was watch him stand there in misery.
I know, I know, why didn't I go help him. Two reasons: I am a chicken, and I don't like being bitten by sacred, hurt dogs.
As I watched him I thought, isn't this just par for the course. We always think the grass is greener on the other side. Well, in this case it's true, the newly planted sod in my back yard makes it much more appealing than my neighbors. So there was my dog, Milsap, cheering him on, pacing back and forth. "Come on," he was telling him, "it's better over here, all the other dogs are doing it, they feed you leftovers here, and you can get fat. No one expects much of me, and I never get asked to do stupid dog tricks."
I have come to realize we will always have the Milsaps in our life, making us think it's better somewhere else. Newer, fresher, more exciting. But ,in the end, all it really is is another yard, filled with just as much dog poop as yours. What that poor, stuck dog didn't know was that Milsap gets yelled at if he rolls around on that new pretty grass too much.
So kids, the moral of this story is this: Before you get stuck, hanging over a fence, with you butt in the air, take time to appeciate your own green grass.

3 comments:

ashli said...

You are mean! Just kidding, think I would have been scared too! Like the moral of the story!

ginny said...

next time get yourself some gloves and get after that leg (or use the gloved hand to look at the collar!) I am mainly shocked that animal control took so freakin long, I mean really, what crazy animals do we have in OK. No loose alligators or anything.

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that you are one of the few people that actually have some sort of a moral to their blog. However I will give you credit for making an excellent analogy with the failures of animals to the failures of humans!