Saturday, April 14, 2007

The Sick vs. The Healthy

Last night Annaliese took a runaway train to Sickville about 7:00pm. She was completely fine, eating dinner and chatting at 6:55 and by 8:00 she was in bed shaking with a 103 temp. Weird. Luckily today she was much better and enjoyed her brother's birthday party, because it gets ugly when a Steel girl has to miss a party. For any reason.

By the way, I will post some pictures of the party soon, but the women in charge of documenting my children's life in pictures, have to send me some.

Anyway, so Annaliese is dying in bed last night, and JH, nothing. A little runny nose, a few coughs, but besides that, nothing. I don't get it with these two. They blow everything I thought I knew about children's wellness out of the water.
In theory Annalise should be the picture of health, the golden child for Healthy Living. Her brother, well, he should be the child in those posters at the doctors office that say, "This is what will happen if you don't breast feed your child and let him eat french fries."
Let me begin.
First off, I gave Annaliese breast milk for 9 months of her little life. Nine months I sat attached to a breast pump for her well being and good health. How did she repay me? With RSV, strep throat, the flu, numerous viruses, and ear infections. That's how.
JH, that boy got Simalac's best from the beginning. How has he repaid me. One ear infection and that breathing thing that lasted a day, and was related to allergies or asthma. Neither one of which he suffers from.
Now I know I am going to piss of The La Leche League, but, come on. What the hell.

Secondly, lets talk about the eating.
Annalise eats fruit, cheese, and veggies. She of course will eat her share of Cheetos and Twinkies, but for the most part she is a healthy eater. I don't get it, I didn't try and teach her the healthy eating crap. But she is all about the good stuff.
And then you have Captain Refuses to Eat. Occasionally, when his guard is down, because he is busy freeing tied up dames in distress from the train tracks, I can come from behind and shove food in his mouth. And sometimes to really show his superhero strength, he will live an entire day off just one lick of food. And let it be known that the food he licks is generally not something healthy, it might be a french fry or a pap tart. And yet he lives on, healthy as can be.
I don't get it. These kid's, they really screw with your head. Jerks.

4 comments:

ginny said...

AMEN!! I'm sure those crazy la leche people would have some snappy comeback probably about Jack Henry being some serial killer when he grows up because BREASTMILK is the cure for everything, including murder!

The Mossmans said...

Ok, the illness thing among the chicks is nasty!!! I am dying for warm weather that will stamp this virus thing out. Will it ever end??

Anonymous said...

oh you knew I would reply...maybe if you had breastfed JH he would be a healthy eater like your little doll AP, of which you have no explanation for her healthy eating (crazy, since you are a GOOD mother with some sense of health conciousness or you wouldn't have gotten so pissed at me for calling you "one of those moms"). That gets chalked up to the "french fry incident" when the Brunster was a little off her rocker...and another thing about breastmilk vs. no breastmilk, you are forgetting about all of the environmental factors that contribute to kids getting sick, blah blah blah blah...Bottom line, yes, I will attempt to breastfeed/pump for #2 and Yes, I am still going to go DRUG free for this birth!! What ya' got to say to that sista'!!!
P.S. had a blast the other night, how is the bird cage hangin'?

Anonymous said...

So, I'm reading this days later and Don told me at the gym tonite that Annaliese still has a fever, it's crazy!! We feel like we haven't seen her in weeks, even tho we saw her saturday. I've been meaning to call you all day- but now it's almost midnight- I'll talk witcha tomorrow. -camille